I had a really difficult time understanding how two of my friends could say that they didn't enjoy the last Time Out for Women that they attended, but I suppose that is my problem. Seriously, it is enlightening, uplifting, fun and funny. I love it so much I volunteer to help so that I can save a seat up front and get in for free, and also have access to the presenters before the event : ).
For those who aren't familiar with it, Time Out (or TOFW) is a bi-annual event put on by Deseret Book, the book company owned by the LDS Church. They bring music artists, authors, popular lecturers and sometimes radio and TV personalities and in this case a photographer, Tim Mabry, who's exhibit we had the privilege to view at the Hawaii temple Visitors Center last summer. Seriously, check out his link. VERY moving. www.reflectionsofchrist.org
Video of Hillary Weeks on teenagers from Saturday....
This was my third time working a TOFW event and my 4th time attending one. I guess it brings out the teeny bopper in me. I love music and I love to laugh, but most of all, I love the encouragement it give me to keep finding joy in my daily routine and to look for the silver lining in my trials.
I will write more about the messages from the event later on, but wanted to share a little experience from Friday...
I had volunteered to work the Will Call/Ticketing Desk. I was looking down at something and when I looked up, there was a MAN (a very rare sight at TOFW) in front of me. It took me just a second to recognize him as Michael Wilcox, one of the presenters. He asked me if his guests had picked up their tickets yet. He said he had added two non-member friends to the list. I felt bad, but I had to ask what name it would be under. Too which he replied "Michael Wilcox". I felt embarrassed now because he thought I didn't know who he was. I didn't see his name on the list, so I asked what their name was. He answered, "Lucky". My first thought was, "Of course they are lucky. They know YOU." I know he must have thought I was crazy, but I had to keep asking questions, since the Will Call list was alphabetical by first name. Was Lucky their first or last name. Anyway, they weren't on the list at all, but two ladies did show up claiming to be his friends. And today at church, one of my friends raised her hand to share a missionary moment. She was seated next to Brother Wilcox's guests. At the end of the event, she felt impressed to give them her name and phone number. She was then further impressed to invite them to the Atlanta Temple Open House that will take place when the renovations are complete. She said that there faces lit up and they expressed a great desire to take her up on that offer.
Two C-isms from tonight. In her personal prayer she expressed her gratitude for the lesson in Young Womens (church meeting for girls 12-18) about breaking old habits and developing new ones. After the prayer, my hubby asks her what habits she is trying to break. Her answer: Reading the scriptures.
In her defense, he was a little slow on getting the word "break" out and it was pretty soft. We shared a good laugh about that one.
Second story. C is an avid reader of the Nancy Drew book series. She also has spent the past several weeks reading the 32 years of the Garfield comic strip on Garfield's web site. After prayers and kisses, she proceeds to tell me, at length stories about both Nancy Drew and Garfield. I attempted to interject my thoughts, but apparently, I was not worthy of listening to. She would just talk over me and say, "I'm TRYING to talk here!". This typically lasts for several minutes, so this time I walked over and laid down in her bed with her. When she finally finished all her stories- without taking even a one second pause, started saying "get out". Followed by, it's 9:30! Can't you tell, I'm trying to sleep!
I love that kid. She always make me laugh.www.reflectionsofchrist.org
No comments:
Post a Comment